Monday, July 12, 2010

No, Ted Williams was not brought back from a cryogenic state

So, yesterday.... Go Espana!
As I proudly wore my Spain jersey, geared up to watch the World Cup, I was looking for three things: a tv with the game, a food menu, and a beer (in that order). This proved to be a challenge. I went to the French Quarter because I was guaranteed there would be people there to watch the game with (on this point I was correct). Here's what I found in bar one: TV- check, food menu- check, beer- check.... TV showing an old football game on mute while some many with a guitar sings Margaritaville... um, no. This went on for awhile (not necessarily the Jimmy Buffet aspect, but my inability to meet my three needs).
I finally found a bar and enjoyed watching an AWESOME World Cup game... however... there were about 8 tv screens at the bar, but two of them were not showing soccer. I kept glancing at the one to my right and this is where I got really confused. Every time I glanced over, a really odd player was up to bat: Sosa, McGuire, Palmiero... wait, was this a steroid ad? Then they started interviewing Ted Williams... WAIT... the man is dead, and unless they figured out how to revive people who were cryogenically frozen, this isn't a live game. WHAT SPORTS BAR AIRS THE 1999 ALL STAR GAME WHEN THERE ARE LIVE SPORTING EVENTS GOING ON??!?!?!
After that, I had some beignets, frozen cafe au lait and went to the movies to see some really depressing movie about this girl from a broken home who is so depressed that she's willing to die for this guy she's in love with, but at the same time she's leading some other guy on. You may have heard of this movie, it's called Eclipse.
Today... started out with ballet class. Someone forgot to inform the instructor that if you've taken up ballet after you've hit puberty you're probably not going pro. All the women in the class were AT LEAST 20 years older than me and she kept stopping the music and yelling at them! It was so awkward. She kept saying "When you're on stage, the conductor will not slow the music down for you." WHAT CONDUCTOR? When will any of us be performing on stage?! I almost started laughing. One of the other students actually paid for my class (I paid her back) when I realized I didn't have cash). I thought it was because she was super nice (which she was), but I think it was also to have support against evil ballet teacher.
After that I went to the French Quarter, took the ferry across the Mississippi to Algiers, home of Mardi Gras World... which moved, and hadn't updated their website. So I went back to New Orleans, walked around a bit and then had a nice dinner of oysters in romano cheese with pancetta, and mussels in linguine... yum. Off to read and go to bed.. more house building tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment