If any of my co-workers are reading this (as of now my mom is my only follower....), picture a graduate from the class of 2009. Now imagine living with them for 6 weeks. He slept all day yesterday and may have been playing World of Warcraft all night. I can't tell him he's irresponsible because he's just a kid, but I also can't give him detention, or call his parents and suggestion they take away his computer! Ahhhhh!!!
Anyway, I made it safely to New Orleans yesterday after a flight where the kid in the row next to me vomited the whole time and the guy next to me was completely unaware of the term "personal space"... but oh well.
Last night I enjoyed a dinner of steamed mussels and shrimp at a wonderful little place called Jamila's Cafe. I met the owner Moncef (his wife is Jamila)and he asked me if I was studying at Tulane. I said no, and explained I was volunteering for Habitat. Now he is the "rarely" moment, when I take myself seriously... Moncef went on to thank you profusely for helping to rebuild his town and gave me his business card and told me to call him or his wife if I ever needed anything. This has been true of everyone I have met when I come to New Orleans. They want to know what you're doing in your town, and when they find out it's Habitat, they just start thanking you or telling your their Katrina story (some of which have been extremely sad).
Now I'm off to find a place to watch the Spain vs. Germany game. Tomorrow I start building houses, and although it's hot down here, there's a nice breeze that you'll rarely find in NYC!
Amazing. I especially like that you followed the sentence about nonstop vomiting with a pot of steamed muscles... Hope you're having fun- Joe
ReplyDelete