The past two days have been busy, and hot, and busy, then hot again, the rainy. *RUNNING OF THE BULLS STORY IS TOWARD THE END*
Yesterday (Friday) was spent working on the house again. It's located in the Upper Ninth Ward (Habitat doesn't build in the Lower Ninth because it's too hard to get the houses above the flood level). I though putting the roof on would be great, because the inside of the house would be shady... however, I was up in the trusses nailing in "w-braces" and the roof actually created a sauna. So after every nail a water break was required. I have NEVER sweat that much in my entire life.
That evening I took an hour nap (and still feel asleep around 10... I must have been really tired) and then went out to dinner. I went to an Italian place called Vincent's and had some yummy bruschetta and fettucine alfredo.
Today... back to the house and hung upside from the trusses to nail some things in hard to reach places (no, I didn't do that dad... just want to keep you on your toes!). I was actually on the roof. We had pretty much finished putting all the boards on the roof (so we can start tar papering and shingling)when it started to POUR, and thunder and lightning, so we all got off the roof, went inside and started using power tools (no dad, I also did not use power tools during a storm). We waited for a break in the storm and then cleaned up for the day (because since there was no tar paper on the roof, the roof still leaks). I also think I've finally "adjusted" to working in the heat.
Now... for the Running of the Bulls aspect. A few years ago, New Orleans decided to model itself after Pamplona and celebrate San Fermin. However, instead of bulls, there are roller derby girls with paddles (foam bats)chasing the runners. So as I got on the streetcar this morning, so did a zillion people in all white with red bandanas.
The other cool thing I got to do today was to attend my first house dedication ceremony. This is where Habitat gives the house to the new homeowner. Well, when I get there, it turns out that I had actually volunteered with this woman who was receiving the house (they have to put in 350 "sweat equity" hours before they can get the house). It was one of the most touching/inspirational things I have ever witnessed (witnessed in person... Extreme Homemakeover doesn't count, but it is quite similar). Terry (the homeowner) and her two daughters were surround by friends, family, volunteers and others. In New Orleans (may in other places?), there are a few symbolic gifts given to the homeowners: bread, wine, a Bible, a toolbox and finally the keys. The keys were handed to Terry by her mom and dad and it was just so great to see. Then everyone had the chance to be Terry's first guests in the home that she owns! So cool!!!! There's a lot more to the story... but this is already pretty long. Sometime this week I'll explain how the whole Habitat process works. It's a great program that really sets people up for success!
Good night!!
No comments:
Post a Comment