Thursday, August 5, 2010

CHEESE IS SO DELICIOUS.

Tonight was CHEESE CLASS at St. James Cheese Company!! It was delicious!
First, today’s home building activities: painting. Ugh. I hate painting. Priming the baseboards and then moving on to painting. Alex, Kara and I presented Pete (our site manager) with his going away/our last day with him gifts: 12 pack of diet coke, Malboro cigarettes and a disposable camera (the first two gifts are only funny if you worked with Pete… when he develops the film on the camera, the first picture he finds will be a picture of Kara, Alex and me!). Later in the afternoon I shoveled dirt to help level the ground around the front porch. Once again the temperature was above 100 degrees so it made for an interesting day!
So, back to cheese. Tonight’s theme was Cheese of Northern Europe. Below is a list of the cheeses, the alcohol paired with them, and my comments on their general deliciousness ( wait… I must take a cheese break).
Danish Esrom- Ruffina Lumina (Pinot Grigio, Italy): Pretty good, like a delicious, buttery Havarti
Danbo w/ Caraway- Ponzi (Pinot Noir, Oregon): If you like caraway seeds, great cheese, if you’re like me and hate caraway seeds, bad cheese! The wine was very good, and the teacher of the class said that the cheese actually goes well with Coors Light.
Adellage- Blackstone (Rubric, California): delicious Bavarian cheese, 50-55% fat; it’s a good beer cheese (needs a good, bug tasting beer); wine is made from 7 different graps.
Pittig 3 year Gouda- The Federalist (Zinfandel, California): Not a big fan of gouda, but thus was really good!!!
Bel Achelesse- St. Bernardus (Abt12, Belgium): 1) Belgian cheese is really hard to find in the US because of FDA standards 2) I HATE BLUE CHEESE 3)This is awesome blue cheese! So yummy! Instead of shooting up the cheese with the penicillin that makes it blue, they kind of roll it in it. Soooo good!
Gjetost- Cristalino (Cava, Spain): 1) Love cava 2) GO BUY THIS CHEESE NOW. It’s a goats milk cheese (rare for northern Europe). It tastes like sweet caramel and cheese. Sounds weird? Everyone there (50 people) were in shock at how delicious it was. I love this cheese… I’m going to the fridge to get some now because I bought a quarter pound of it.
Okay, that’s it for today. Tomorrow I’ll be working on floors on Frenchman Street and dreaming of cheeeeeeese!

No comments:

Post a Comment